There are two methods to deploying ConfirmConnect onto a Web Server. These are "de-coupled" (preferred method) and "Integrated".
- de-coupled - allows the installation of ConfirmConnect to be kept independent of Confirm versions, in other words there is no need to upgrade Confirm host systems to use this version. Note: Some functionality will require upgrades to the main Confirm system, these are mentioned in each versions release notes.
- Integrated - installs ConfirmConnect with the Confirm Connector. All versions must be kept in sync.
Pre-requisites for ConfirmConnect
Below is a list of pre-requiste steps required for ConfirmConnect, these are required for both Integrated and de-coupled installations
- IIS Web Server role is installed with the ASP.NET Role Service installed.
- Confirm Connector Installed at Version 11.60 or above. This can be on a different server.
- Confirm Access Code with ConfirmConnect device licenses enabled. Please request an access code from your Confirm Project Manager.
- ConfirmConnect requires .NET framework version 4 to work. Please download and install this before upgrading.
- Create an application pool (named as you wish) configured to use .NET 4 with the Managed pipeline mode: set to Integrated.Note: For 64bit machines only: Once the application pool has been created, ensure you have the "Enable 32-Bit Applications" option set to True via the advanced settings.
- Install Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable by navigating to http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30679 and downloading the 'vcredist_x86.exe'. If you are running ConfirmConnect on a 64bit machine you must also download and install 'vcredist_x64.exe'.
- Install MapXtreme 7.2, this can be downloaded from http://confirm.dev-pb.com/connect/ConfirmMapXtremeRedist.msi. ConfirmConnect v3.00.0 and above. Due to a patch to MapXtreme this must be downloaded and installed even if you have previously installed prior to ConfirmConnect v3.00.0 release.
- Download and copy the MapXtreme licence http://confirm.dev-pb.com/connect/MapXtremeDesktop.zip file into the MapXtreme 7.2 application directory. Default application directory is "C:\program files\common files\mapinfo\MapXtreme\7.2.0".
Web Server Installation and Configuration
This section details the manual steps required to setup your ConfirmConnect Web Service so that it can be accessed by your devices and tested using Chrome. The following steps assume the use of IIS 7, Default Web Site and default options are used unless otherwise specified.
- Download and run the ConfirmConnectWebService.exe.
- Choose the location where to install the ConfirmConnect Web Service.
- Enabling Confirm UEIP will allow both Web Service and all devices to send anonymous usage information to Pitney Bowes to help us improve our products and services.
- Within IIS, navigate to Default Web Site and use 'Add Application...'
- Enter an Alias name of 'ConfirmConnect' and set the Application Pool to the one created in the pre-requisite steps. Set the 'Physical path:' to the location you installed ConfirmConnect to.Note: It is advised to use a separate application pool from the one being used by the Confirm Connector.
- ConfirmConnect needs to know where the Confirm Connector is running so that it can process data into the Confirm database. To enable this, launch the registry editor and navigate to the Confirm.AM.Connector folder and add a 'New > String Value' called 'ConnectorAspNetURL'.
- Set the value to the url for the ConnectorAspNet.aspx file (located in the Connectors published application location) e.g. http://localhost/Connector/ConnectorAspNet.aspx.
- Double check that the CFGFile and LogFile settings are correct and the latter should point to a directory that the Application Pool user has write access to.
Note: This 'LogFile' location is only used when connectivity to the database fails or when the Connector Settings screen in the Confirm client has NOT been specified.
The entry in the Connector Settings screen in Confirm will override this value when specified.
Allow devices to download and install from your Web Site
If you wish to install devices using the QR codes provided with the contents of the ConfirmConnect installation, you need to setup MIME types in your Web Site.
There are two MIME types required depending on if you are using Android or iOS devices. Within IIS, select Default Web Site and select MIME Types from the content view. Add the following
- For Android devices, set the File name extension: .apk and Mime Type: application/vnd.android.package-archive
- For iOS devices, set the File name extension: .ipa Mime Type: application/octet-stream
Download and Install the new version of the ConfirmConnectWebService.exe.
Perform the following steps to test the ConfirmConnect web service.
- Using a web browser, browse to the TestConnection.html page and fill in the details to perform a test.
In de-coupled mode the ConfirmConnect web service will log any issues it can into a separate file located in the same location as specified for your Confirm Connector log file entry. The file will have the prefix of 'MS_' e.g. MS_Connector.log.
Please see the online help documentation for details on how to troubleshoot issues with ConfirmConnect.